Sunday, February 21, 2010

Remember, only YOU can prevent wildfires!

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've been trying to do different things every weekend when the weather is nice since the weather can't quite decide between winter and spring yet. I've decided to start posting a blog nearly every weekend if I remember.

Yesterday I thought "we'll go west towards Ruidoso and find somewhere to go hiking." I barely had enough gas to get there and back, but I figured we'd try. Along the way I started seeing signs for the Lincoln County Historical Museum and the Smokey Bear Museum. I checked mapquest on my phone and found out that Lincoln and Capitan (where Smokey Bear is from) are roughly the same distance from Roswell as Ruidoso is, just off a different highway so I figured I had enough gas to get there. After making the turn onto the different highway, I pulled over to transfer money from the boys' bank accounts so that we could pay for the museum and maybe get a souvenir. We'll pay them back when we get our tax returns.

Little Loren said he didn't want to stop at the Lincoln County Museum so we just drove through the town of Lincoln to get to Capitan. About 7 miles from Capitan there was a marker on the side of the road that pointed out the location where Smokey Bear was found clinging to a tree, badly burned after a devastating forest fire.


After we got to Capitan, we went to the museum. We saw where Smokey Bear was buried and walked around the little park area there.


The boys did puzzles inside and we looked at an exhibit that had fire information to learn about good and bad fires. It was very interesting. Little Loren is already asking when we can go back. I told him perhaps we can go with my parents whenever they come down to visit again.

No comments: